Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Life Long Learning

Check out this blog: Life Long Learning! A New Blogger's Beginning. She is a classroom teacher turned technology coordinator for her district and her focus is to support teachers in integrating technology into their classrooms.

In one of her blog posts, Is Web 2.0 A Relevant Term? she gives a really basic overview of what exactly this whole "Web 2.0" concept is. Clearly I am familiar with this term and the jargon that goes with it because I am enrolled in LAI 684 and am fortunate enough to be employed in a district where educational technology is at the top of the priority list. However, a year or two ago I was not as well versed in "Web 2.0" as I am now-in fact, things are still fuzzy at times since there is always so much to keep up with! When the educational technology craze hit my school district a couple of years ago, many teachers were hesitant to jump on the bandwagon. Many felt as though it was just another chore to tackle during the daily school schedule and lots of terms were thrown around that we were expected to know and be able to use in our classrooms.

Speaking for myself, had I read this blog at the time I think I may have been a bit more comfortable with the subject instead of feeling like this was being thrown at me so quickly. I love how she gives examples of how we are already using "Web 2.0" and don't even know it (email, online shopping, photo sharing, etc.). It is also great that she realizes that during this panel discussion there were many "newbies" who felt overwhelmed and weren't familiar with the social media that is available. I think this is how some of my colleagues must have felt a couple of years ago, as did I.

I also love how she says we should stop trying to find a definition of "Web 2.0." Instead, she says we need to examine its characteristics, its programs, and realize we are already a part of it. As teachers, that means we need to continue to interact globally and figure out how we can help our students to interact with the social web as well in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Jaclyn,
    Sounds like a great post. I'll have to check it out. It is true that there are a lot of new concepts and new vocabulary involved in this tech revolution and both will continue to evolve. I think that it is our responsibility not only to try to keep abreast through networking, but also to lend a hand to peers who might feel as overwhelmed as we once felt!
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete